Popular Posts

Friday, July 19, 2013

Today is Your Birthday, Sweet Wiggles Blue Heeler!




Today is Your Birthday, Sweet Wiggles Blue Heeler!


July 19th, 2013


By Julie Kay Smithson aka Wiggles' Mommy-Me!


On this day in 1998, in the morning, you and your littermates were born somewhere in Holmes County, Ohio. According to Weather Underground historical weather data for that date in Millersburg, Ohio, the morning, a Sunday, began at 60 degrees, rose to 84, and there was .11 of an inch rainfall, so it was a typical mid-July summer day. I pray you weren't terribly hot, that your mother and littermates were somewhere cool, because you and I never handled heat or humidity well. 

We didn't meet until Tuesday, September 22nd, when you, your littermates and another litter of blue heeler puppies were brought to the Farm Science Review near London, Ohio. You were nine weeks and three days young, sweet one, and you and I traded hearts that day, never regretting for an instant, the decision!


September 22, 1998. Our first day together!


For more than a dozen years, through thick and thin, in sickness and in health, we were there for each other, living under the same humble-but-happy roof, the best of all friends.


July 19, 2000. Your second birthday!




April 2001

We traveled together, played and slept together, and aged together.


May 2001, trip to Montana.


May 2001, trip to Montana.

In your sixth year, inherited progressive retinal atrophy (PRA) took your physical sight, but you saw with your heart, and taught me to see with mine. If I thought we were close before, it was as nothing compared with the bond we forged when you taught me to be your seeing eye person! What blessings we knew and experienced!


June 17, 2004


October 20, 2004

When your dear body began to show signs that something was wrong (a growth of some kind in either your liver or kidney; a year & nine months of various tests never confirmed what or where, but it kept growing nonetheless), you still did your best to be my best friend ... and you succeeded, sweet heart!

It didn't matter if the unseen growth pressed on you until some urine began to leak when you'd lie down. What a small thing, in the grand blessing of your life! The only thing that ever mattered was that we loved each other -- still do, and always will!


March 7, 2008


On December 5th, 2010, just after seven in the morning, I took you to the vet's to offer you the help I promised, so you would not suffer anymore. You told me, at five that morning, that it was time, and somehow, I stayed calm during that drive east as the eastern sky lightened on a cold, dry day flanked by days before and after that were not safe to drive. God smiled on us and gave us so much, so many blessings!



December 5, 2010

You kissed me one last earthly time, and you know that I longed to step with you into Heaven, but God had other plans for me. I stayed here behind as He and you worked to find a special, terrified blind blue heeler 200 miles south in Kentucky, that needed life & a home as much as I needed someone to care for & help. No, Good Boy isn't you, but no one could ever be.

You and God work with Good Boy and I each and every day, and we love you both so much, for your help and guidance! I miss your earthly self, and always will, but know that your heart & soul are with me forever, as mine are with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment